Spiced Rhubarb Recipe
The recipe for Spiced Rhubarb's been in my family for yearsit was handed down to me by my mother, who got it many decades ago from her mother. This dish is good either hot or cold...with a meal (it's delicious alongside pork or lamb) or just plain. I even like to spread it on my breakfast toast! As for me, I'm a country girl. I was born in the country, and I'm still here.
- 10 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil; reduce heat and simmer for 60-70 minutes.
- Pour into pint jars and refrigerate. Serve as a glaze for ham or spread on biscuits. Yield: about 4 pints.
Originally published as Spiced Rhubarb in Country Woman March/April 1993, p33
Reviews for Spiced Rhubarb
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 26, 2011
Very delicious! Tastes great with ham, on pound cake, etc! I even used some of the leftovers for apple dumplings and they tasted AMAZING!!! A bit on the sweet side, but still a good one to try :)
Reviewed Jul. 3, 2010
This is wonderful with ham... yummy!