Spiced Red Cabbage Recipe
- 1/2 medium head red cabbage, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tart apple, quartered
- 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and cabbage to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Return to pan; stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
One 1/2-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 78 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.