Spiced Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Cloves, cinnamon and molasses add plenty of spice to this appealing pumpkin bread from Ruby Williams of Bogalusa, Louisiana. And you needn't wait till next autumn make it - you can use convenient canned pumpkin anytime of year!
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the pumpkin, orange juice, molasses and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture and mix until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from the pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Spiced Pumpkin Bread in Country Woman January/February 1999, p40
Reviews for Spiced Pumpkin Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 19, 2012
I didn't add the molasses and orange juice but did add a dash of ginger, allspice, pumpkin pie spice and nutmeg (along with the spices already included) and it gave the bread a nice touch. Also made the kitchen smell great!