- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Whipped cream and ground cinnamon, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, spices and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with 1 cup water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. In a microwave, heat butter and remaining water until butter is melted; carefully pour over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm. Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon if desired. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Spiced Pudding Cake
Sort By :
"We love pudding cakes and this one was a hit. Tastes like gingerbread with sauce all in one dish. What a great fall dessert."
"People should read the title, it says "pudding" right there... Suggestion was to serve "warm" which did "activate" the pudding more and made the bottom warm and yummy. Has a strong molasses after taste, but I found it easy to make and a huge hit at my office."
"The cake has very good taste but I am one that didn't know the bottom was supposed to be gooey. I was eating it but not enjoying it because I thought something was wrong with it but now I can enjoy it."
"Favorite dessert in my recipe box. Easy to make and even easier to eat too much of. If you like old fashion molasses cookies you need to try this recipe."