Spiced Potato Doughnuts Recipe
Guests will have a touch of nostalgia when they bite into one of these old-fashioned doughnuts. Accents of nutmeg and cinnamon, along with a subtle burst of lemon, make them hard to resist. —June Jones, Harveyville, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:30 servings
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the potatoes, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, butter and lemon peel until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and baking soda; gradually beat into potato mixture and mix well.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine sugar and cinnamon; roll warm doughnuts in mixture. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 doughnut equals 184 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC