- 2 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat the potatoes, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, butter and lemon peel until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and baking soda; gradually beat into potato mixture and mix well.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine sugar and cinnamon; roll warm doughnuts in mixture. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Spiced Potato Doughnuts in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p37
Reviews for Spiced Potato Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review