Spiced Pot Roast
I ALWAYS looked forward to Sunday dinner at my grandparents' house, because Grandmother was the best cook anywhere.
All her meals were delicious, but I especially loved dinners featuring this savory pot roast. It's wonderful with garden-fresh vegetables on the side and a dessert made with apples.
-Frances Wilson, Tulsa, Oklahoma
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef rump or chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup chutney
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; rub over entire roast. In a Dutch
- oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Combine remaining ingredients
- and pour over roast.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Thicken gravy if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 400 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 524 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 35 g protein.