I ALWAYS looked forward to Sunday dinner at my grandparents' house, because Grandmother was the best cook anywhere. All her meals were delicious, but I especially loved dinners featuring this savory pot roast. It's wonderful with garden-fresh vegetables on the side and a dessert made with apples. -Frances Wilson, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef rump or chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup chutney
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; rub over entire roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over roast.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until meat is tender. Thicken gravy if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Pot Roast in Reminisce September/October 1996, p49
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spiced Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review