Spiced Pork Potpie Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1-1/2 pounds), cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pitted dried plums, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 whole cloves
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (15 ounces) sweet potatoes, drained and cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook pork in 2 tablespoons butter until no longer pink. Add the cider and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the fruit and seasoning; simmer 10 minutes longer.
- 2. Melt remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Slowly add to meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Discard cloves. Stir in sweet potatoes. Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- 3. For crust, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Combine the milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Spread over filling. Bake at 400° for 28-32 minutes or until crust is browned. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 857 calories, 46 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 215 mg cholesterol, 777 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.