Spiced Pork Loin with Plums Recipe
When plums are in season, I make this every other week. I originally adapted the recipe for use with chicken, but discovered it was even better with pork. I fixed it for 70 people for my granddaughter’s christening and everyone wanted the recipe.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours + standing YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 medium fresh plums, pitted and sliced
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; rub over roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in 1 tablespoon oil on all sides. Remove roast and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, cook onion in remaining oil over medium heat until tender. Add sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes longer. Add cranberry juice; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- 3. Return roast to the pan; add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- 4. Add plums; cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 145°. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Thicken pan juices if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC