Spiced Plum Pie Recipe
The subtle tastes of orange and nutmeg bring out the fresh flavor of plums in this comforting pie. Be sure to have a slice while it's still warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. —Lucille Mead, Ilion, New York
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4-1/2 cups sliced fresh plums
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Arrange plums in crust. In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Stir in egg, orange juice and peel. Pour over plums; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly (cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary). Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Plum Pie in Country Woman August/September 2008, p39
Reviews for Spiced Plum Pie(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 17, 2012
I didn't have any orange zest, but this pie was delicious without it.