Spiced Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, drained
- 10 to 12 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a saucepan, melt 2/3 cup of butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread in the bottom of an ungreased heavy 12-in skillet or a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Arrange pineapple in a single layer over sugar mixture; place a cherry in the center of each slice. Sprinkle with pecans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add alternately to batter with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Carefully pour over the pineapple. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes for skillet (50-60 minutes for baking pan) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Spiced Pineapple Upside-Down Cake(15)
Sort By :
For the most part, this was your average pineapple upside down cake except with spices and WAY too much butter! It was drowning in butter and although I have a sweet tooth, 2.5 cups of sugar and 1 1/3 cups of butter was a wee bit much. My dad said this was good, my mom tried it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to cut the sweetness, my sis didn't say anything (even though SHE'S the one who picked this out) and I thought it was too soaked in butter to really enjoy it.
YUM! We love this cake. I would never make an unspiced upside-down cake again. The second time I made this I used a couple of cans of pineapple tidbits which gives more coverage of pineapple and then randomly placed the cherries.
It is one of the best pineapple upside down cake that I have baked or eaten anywhere
I have a chicken fry pan that the handle broke off of. I use it to make this wonderful cake in. No changes necessary...stick to the original recipe
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >