Spiced Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Informs Jennifer Sergesketter of Newburgh, Indiana, "I often bake this beautiful cake in my large iron skillet and turn it out on a pizza pan."
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, drained
- 10 to 12 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a saucepan, melt 2/3 cup of butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread in the bottom of an ungreased heavy 12-in skillet or a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Arrange pineapple in a single layer over sugar mixture; place a cherry in the center of each slice. Sprinkle with pecans and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add alternately to batter with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Carefully pour over the pineapple. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes for skillet (50-60 minutes for baking pan) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 509 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 467 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC