Spiced Pineapple Ham Recipe
- 1 cup DOLE Canned Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 6 boneless fully cooked ham steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1. In a saucepan, bring pineapple juice, cloves and cinnamon stick to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Strain juice, discarding cloves and cinnamon. Return juice to the pan.
- 2. In a bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch; stir in vinegar until smooth. Stir into pineapple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pineapple; heat through.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook ham steaks until browned and heated through. Serve with the pineapple sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 each) equals 185 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,180 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fruit.