Spiced Pickled Beets Recipe
With spicy, robust flavor, these pickled beets are so good, they'll convert any naysayers! Edna Hoffman, Hebron, IN
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours Process: 35 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 3 pounds small fresh beets
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1. Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25-35 minutes or until tender. Remove from water; cool. Peel beets and cut into fourths.
- 2. Place beets in a Dutch oven. Add sugar, water and vinegar. Place spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to beet mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard spice bag.
- 3. Carefully pack beets into four hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top. Carefully ladle hot liquid over beets, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 35 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 pints.
1/4 cup equals 53 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC