- 3 pounds small fresh beets
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25-35 minutes or until tender. Remove from water; cool. Peel beets and cut into fourths.
- Place beets in a Dutch oven. Add sugar, water and vinegar. Place spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to beet mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard spice bag.
- Carefully pack beets into four hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top. Carefully ladle hot liquid over beets, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 35 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 4 pints.
Reviews for Spiced Pickled Beets
"My 12 year old neice loves these she takes them for lunch at school at least weekly."
"This is a great recipe, I didn't change a thing. I highly recommended this recipe it is so easy and tastes great."
"We love Pickled Beets. But when I make them I add thin lemon slices to the beets as they heat up in the brine. The lemons look beautiful in the jars or you don' have to put the lemons in the jars. gmayk"
"This even surpasses the canned pickled beets my parents made. I love the addition of the spices. I have made it twice and will continue without changes. Yummy!"
"add a teaspoon of salt"