Spiced Pear Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Ice cream, optional
- Pour melted butter into a 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with nuts and brown sugar. Arrange pears over nuts.
- In a large bowl, cream softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Spread batter over pears. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Spiced Pear Upside-Down Cake
Sort By :
Delicious gingerbread and pears. I used 1/2 light molasses and half dark because I ran out of light. It turned out quite dense.
Delicious pear cake and easy to make!
I made this exactly as written except I left the nuts out (personal choice). My husband loved it. I agree with a previous review that I think I'll use another pear next time.
I made this cake exactly as directed and while I really liked it, I didn't love it. I think the name is deceptive because to me it tasted like a plain gingerbread cake with just a hint of pear flavor. Perhaps I should have added more pears. I was very impressed with how well the cake came out of the pan (I used a non-stick pan). It looked beautiful...I only wish the taste matched the beauty of it.
Yum! This cake is delicious warm out of the oven and at room temperature. It has a wonderful blend of spices. One of my friends who tasted it asked if there were graham crackers in it.