Spiced Pear Upside-Down Cake Recipe
The flavors of fresh, sweet pears and gingerbread blend beautifully in this intriguing variation on pineapple upside-down cake. Leftovers—if there are any—taste great with coffee or tea the next day. —Lisa Varner Charleston, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:9 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Ice cream, optional
- 1. Pour melted butter into a 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with nuts and brown sugar. Arrange pears over nuts.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Spread batter over pears. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece equals 419 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 347 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC