Spiced Pear Jam
Years ago, my in-laws had three pear trees on their acreage and gave us all the fruit that we wanted to pick. So I canned plenty of pears. Then a neighbor passed along this favorite recipe. I've given many jars of this jam as gifts. Day to day, we enjoy it on toast with ham and eggs or on hot rolls with a meat. —Karen Bockelman, Portland, Oregon
48 ServingsPrep: 1 hour 40 min. Process: 10 min.
- 8 cups chopped or coarsely ground peeled pears (about 5-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2
- to 2 hours or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir more
- frequently as the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle into hot
- half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe
- rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water
- canner. Yield: 6 half-pints.
Editor's Note: This recipe does not require pectin.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 81 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.