- 8 cups chopped or coarsely ground peeled pears (about 5-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir more frequently as the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 half-pints.
Reviews for Spiced Pear Jam
"I made this jam for Christmas presents saving a jar for myself, thank goodness I did, it is really good. I also did the brown and white sugar togetherness (1/2 and 1/2) and 1/4 tsp nutmeg like others suggested. I never processed for 10 minutes in boiling water they sealed just fine. It is excellent on pork chops and as a glaze on ham and of course on warm rolls and toast. Defiantly a keeper Thx Karen"
"I hope this worked out right for me...it did not set like regular jam....did I do it right?? can someone tell me if this is normal...thanks ....I have not opened the jam yet to taste it but it smells great."
"I made this jam for my husband and he loved it. I did use 2C brown & 2C white sugar. This recipe is a hit. I will definitely make this again."
"I have been making jam in my new Ball jam maker, it is so much fun. I love pears and wanted something a little spiced up and zingy. This is a great recipe, I adjusted it for the machine & the amount of jam I was making. I also used half brown sugar as 99504bake mentioned. Thanks for the tips, the jam came out amazing. I decorated jars for Xmas and gave them as gifts..it's that good!"