Spiced Pear Chutney
Try this flavorful chutney on meat or poultry instead of heavy gravy. And this simple recipe is healthy, too. There are 3 grams of fiber in every serving! Marie Townsend - Salem, Oregon
7 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups chopped peeled ripe pears
- In a small saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir the
- onion and garlic over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the
- vinegar, brown sugar, dates and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully stir in pears. Cook,
- uncovered, over low heat for 40-50 minutes or until pears are tender
- and mixture achieves desired thickness. Yield: 1-3/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 99 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.