Spiced Peach Salad
This refreshing salad is my most requested recipe. A touch of cinnamon makes it taste like fresh peach pie. My father-in-law is an especially big fan of this fruity salad, and I know you'll love it, too.
-Karen Hamilton, Ludington, Michigan
8-10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) peach or orange gelatin
- 1 can (29 ounces) peach halves
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and water. Tie cloves
- and cinnamon in a cheesecloth bag; place in the saucepan. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard spice bag. Add gelatin; stir until
- dissolved. Drain peaches, reserving syrup; set peaches aside. Add
- water to syrup to equal 2 cups. Add to gelatin mixture; stir well.
- Chill until slightly thickened. Thinly slice peaches; add to gelatin.
- Pour into a 2-qt. glass bowl; chill until firm. Yield: 8-10
Editor's Note: If desired, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves may be substituted for the whole spices; combine with the gelatin before adding to sugar mixture.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 161 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 44 mg sodium,