We always made cream puffs for special occasions when I was growing up in a family of seven. My favorite filling, then and now, is whipped cream and nutmeg-spiced peaches. —Agnes Ward, Stratford, Ontario
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped peeled fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, nutmeg and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Just before serving, fill puffs with whipped cream and peaches. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Spiced Peach Puffs in Country Woman June/July 2009, p40
Reviews for Spiced Peach Puffs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review