Spiced Orange Gelatin Salad
This lovely molded salad looks and tastes festive. Its orange and cinnamon flavor combination will make it a popular side dish for most any entrée.—Jennifer Kauffman Figueroa, Greenville, South Carolina
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) orange gelatin, divided
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water, divided
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup sweetened applesauce
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Lettuce leaves and sliced apples, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve one package of gelatin in 1 cup boiling
- water. Stir in cold water. Pour into a 6-cup ring mold coated with
- cooking spray. Refrigerate until set but not firm, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, dissolve remaining package of gelatin in
- remaining boiling water. Stir in the applesauce, sour cream and
- cinnamon. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until thickened. Gently spread
- over gelatin in mold. Refrigerate until firm.
- Line a serving plate with lettuce leaves if desired; unmold gelatin
- onto plate. Garnish with apples and additional lettuce if desired.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 162 calories, 5 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.