Spiced Oatmeal Mix Recipe
- 8 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups chopped mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- 2. To prepare oatmeal: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup. In a deep microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/2 cup oatmeal mix and 1 cup water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring every 30 seconds. Let stand for 1-2 minutes before serving. Yield: 18 servings.
1 cup: 210 calories, 3g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1/2 fruit
Reviews for Spiced Oatmeal Mix
"too much sugar for me, I had to add extra oats to each bowl so it wouldn't be too sweet. That said, I like the idea of making "instant" oatmeal and will make it again w/maybe half the sugar."
"I will never purchase instant oatmeal again. My family loves this! I add a good 2 cups of dried fruits and add a handful of sliced almonds. Delicious, healthy and easy quick breakfast."
"This is a great mix to have around. I substitute Splenda for the white sugar to cut the calories a little. And it lasts WAY longer than 1 month!"
"The bits of dried fruit turn out as nuggets of sweetness in this oatmeal! Great way to spiff up regular oatmeal. Good job and thanks for sharing!"
"I made it and packaged it in little bags and used them in gift baskets for Christmas. Everyone that received them asked me for the recipe. I used dried apples, raisins and cranberries. Yummy."
"I really like this oatmeal. First batch I made with dried cranberries. Next time I will do blueberries, adding in some powdered coffee creamer for a "blueberries and cream" twist."
"Hi sounds great from my house we love fruits & as you sayAdapt the ingredients to suit your taste," Vera"
"Too much sugar! Brown sugar, white sugar & dried fruits? This is sickeningly sweet. Cut the sugar in half, or replace with Splenda."