Spiced Oatmeal Mix
The microwave makes Loretta Kleinjan's warm and cozy treat a snap to whip up. "Adapt the ingredients to suit your taste," suggests the Volga, South Dakota reader. "Try it as a quick pick-me-up any time of day."
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 8 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups chopped mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Store in an airtight
- container for up to 1 month.
- To prepare oatmeal: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When
- preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup. In a deep
- microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/2 cup oatmeal mix and 1 cup water.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly,
- stirring every 30 seconds. Let stand for 1-2 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 18 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup prepared oatmeal equals 210 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit.