Spiced Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
I'm the fourth generation of cooks in my family to bake these cookies. When my grandmother sent me a batch for my birthday one year, I asked her for the recipe - not knowing I already had it in a booklet of handwritten recipes she'd given me. Embarrassed, I looked, and sure enough there it was. That's when I learned it was originally my great-grandmother's recipe...it's one that I will definitely make sure gets passed on!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs and milk; mix well. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to the creamed mixture. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until done. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 222 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC