When I host club meetings at my house, these meatballs are sure to be part of the potluck menu. I've made them for holidays as well, where they're always welcome.
Featured In: 21 Appetizer Recipes for Your Holiday Party
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a skillet, combine the tomato juice, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cloves and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the meatballs.
- Cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Discard the cloves before serving. Yield: 16 meatballs.
Originally published as Spiced Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p29
Reviews for Spiced Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2013
"My family did not care for these meatballs. I thought they sounded interesting but won't make them again because no one would eat them after the first bite."