When I host club meetings at my house, these meatballs are sure to be part of the potluck menu. I've made them for holidays as well, where they're always welcome.
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a skillet, combine the tomato juice, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cloves and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the meatballs.
- Cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Discard the cloves before serving. Yield: 16 meatballs.
Originally published as Spiced Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p29
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spiced Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review