Spiced Mandarin Orange Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil and butter for 6-8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, brown sugar and soy sauce. Remove chicken and keep warm. Add orange juice mixture to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add oranges; heat through.
- 4. Serve chicken with rice and orange sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with about 1/3 cup sauce (calculated without rice) equals 318 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 36 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.