Spiced Lamb Stew with Apricots Recipe
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Hot cooked couscous
- Chopped dried apricots, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown lamb in butter in batches. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the apricots, orange juice, broth and seasonings; pour over lamb.
- 2. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with couscous. Sprinkle with chopped apricots if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup (calculated without couscous) equals 404 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 975 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Reviews for Spiced Lamb Stew with Apricots
"I made this yesterday for supper. It was simply delicious. After putting all the ingredients together in my slow cooker, I thought the smell of the spices was too strong. But I was wrong. The stew tasted great. I did add 4 carrots (slices) and a cup of fresh peas. I also doubled the chicken stock and orange juice. Turned out great. Will certainly make this again."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.