My family loves lamb, especially my son. During his first year of college, he claimed to be a vegetarian. When he came home, I had a pot of this slow-cooked lamb stew simmering on the counter. At dinnertime, my husband and I found only a few shreds of meat left floating in the gravy—and my son confessed that he was the culprit!—Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Hot cooked couscous
- Chopped dried apricots, optional
- In a large skillet, brown lamb in butter in batches. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the apricots, orange juice, broth and seasonings; pour over lamb.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with couscous. Sprinkle with chopped apricots if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Lamb Stew With Apricots in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p49
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spiced Lamb Stew with Apricots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review