Spiced Garlic Carrots Recipe
This classic Moroccan side dish is served as often as possible, hot or as a cold salad, in most Sephardic Jewish homes. The natural sweetness of the carrots tempers the garlic and balances the sizzle of the pepper flakes. —David Feder, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 pounds medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until tender; drain.
- 2. In a large dry skillet, toast cinnamon sticks and cumin seeds over medium heat until aromatic, stirring occasionally. Add oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, crushed garlic, pepper flakes and salt; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until carrots and garlic are lightly browned. Remove cinnamon sticks. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC