Spiced Fruited Hot Cross Buns Recipe
“Who says you should only eat Hot Cross Buns in April?” asks Alina Niemi of Honolulu Hawaii. “The bread machine does all the hard work, so they make an easy and decadent holiday treat that tastes like you put a lot of effort into them.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first 14 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add the raisins, cranberries and candied ginger.
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 24 portions; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the icing ingredients; pipe an "X" on each bun. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 bun equals 160 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC