Spiced Fruited Hot Cross Buns Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- In bread machine pan, place the first 14 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add the raisins, cranberries and candied ginger.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 24 portions; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the icing ingredients; pipe an "X" on each bun. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Spiced Fruited Hot Cross Buns
Sort By :
"These are excellent! They are light, low sugar, higher in fiber and whole grains plus they taste great! I've made these several times. I made a double batch this year to take them to share for our church brunch on Easter Sunday. The only thing I did different was to substitute dark raisins instead of the crystallized ginger."