Spiced Fruit Recipe
Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin turn convenient canned fruit into something special with cinnamon, cloves, rosemary and lemon juice. With its festive flavor, the sunny dish is perfect for a Christmas brunch.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling YIELD:5 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) pear halves
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches each)
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs (2 inches each)
- 4 whole cloves
- 1. Drain pineapple and pears, reserving 1-1/2 cups juice. Place the pineapple, pears and oranges in a bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, rosemary, cloves and reserved juices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- 2. Pour over fruit. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Discard cinnamon sticks, rosemary and cloves before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 129 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC