Spiced Figs Poached in Wine
If you haven't had figs before, this is a delicious way to introduce yourself to them. The the flavors from spices and wine blend together to nicely complement the flavor of the figs.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 lemon peel strip
- 2 whole cloves
- Dash salt
- 10 ounces dried figs, halved
- Reduced-fat vanilla ice cream or plain Greek yogurt, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in
- figs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-45
- minutes or until the figs are tender. Remove figs and set aside.
- Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to
- about 1/2 cup. Strain into a small bowl; add figs. Cool. Serve with
- ice cream or yogurt if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
To Make Ahead: The spiced figs can be made several days before serving.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without ice cream or yogurt) equals 142 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium,