Spiced Figs Poached in Wine Recipe
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 lemon peel strip
- 2 whole cloves
- Dash salt
- 10 ounces dried figs, halved
- Reduced-fat vanilla ice cream or plain Greek yogurt, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in figs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until the figs are tender. Remove figs and set aside.
- 2. Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Strain into a small bowl; add figs. Cool. Serve with ice cream or yogurt if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1/4 cup: 142 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Spiced Figs Poached in Wine
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.