Spiced Cran-Apple Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup ruby port wine
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried apples, diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the apple butter, wine, vinegar, pepper and salt. Stir in the tart apple, celery, onion, dried apples, cranberries and garlic. Pour over brisket. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- 4. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat. Yield: 9 servings.
6 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup cooking juices equals 334 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 208 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 42 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Spiced Cran-Apple Brisket
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.