“Kids seem to love this recipe the most, although every adult who tastes it becomes an instant fan as well. The apple and cranberry flavors are perfect for fall.” —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup ruby port wine
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried apples, diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the apple butter, wine, vinegar, pepper and salt. Stir in the tart apple, celery, onion, dried apples, cranberries and garlic. Pour over brisket. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Cran-Apple Brisket in Taste of Home August/September 2010, p57
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spiced Cran-Apple Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review