- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup ruby port wine
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried apples, diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the apple butter, wine, vinegar, pepper and salt. Stir in the tart apple, celery, onion, dried apples, cranberries and garlic. Pour over brisket. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat. Yield: 9 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spiced Cran-Apple Brisket
"Thank you for sharing this recipe. It has a better flavor than many beef recipes I have tried in the past. However, the combination of the vinegar and apple butter ingredients in the dish reminded me of a German sweet and sour beef recipe I've tried before. The German beef recipe seemed to have a more complex overall taste; and, I found the German recipe more to my overall liking. Although this recipe is better than average for a weeknight dinner, my family did not find it to be superb or company worthy. I do not plan to make it again. It was nice to try a new recipe though. Again, thank you for sharing. I admire your creativity with the apple butter and cranberry combination. For readers who are new to cooking or do not own any slow cooker beef recipes, this recipe would be a great recipe to try and own as a novice cook."
"I've made this once already and I'm making it for Christmas too. So easy and delicious!"
"So easy and delicious!"
"Mmmmmm. This was delicious and easy!"
"I halved the meat to two pounds but did not half the other ingredients! YUMMY! Next time I will make all 4 pounds because there was nothing leftover! I'm always on the lookout for something different to cook and this dish is just that and oh so delicious! I will make this again and again! Served with mashed potatoes and green beans! Perfecto!"