Spiced Christmas Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups molasses
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1-2/3 cups raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped candied lemon peel
- 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups red and/or green candied cherries, cut as desired
- 1. In a very large bowl, beat the molasses, butter, sour cream and lemon juice until well blended. Combine the flour, brown sugar, spices, baking soda, lemon peel and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the walnuts, raisins and candied peels. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. Combine frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cookies; decorate with cherries. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 187 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 fat
Reviews for Spiced Christmas Cookies
"This recipe it DELICIOUS!...my hubby who is German LOVES them&so do my kids/grandkids!-they might be a "Christmas Cookie"-but we eat them year round!...one thing I do is put the fruit in the food processor so they are kinda ground up&that way you are not eating big hunks of fruit in the cookies????"