Spiced Christmas Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups molasses
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1-2/3 cups raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped candied lemon peel
- 1/4 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups red and/or green candied cherries, cut as desired
- In a very large bowl, beat the molasses, butter, sour cream and lemon juice until well blended. Combine the flour, brown sugar, spices, baking soda, lemon peel and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the walnuts, raisins and candied peels. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Combine frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cookies; decorate with cherries. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Spiced Christmas Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 2009, p56
Reviews for Spiced Christmas Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review