Spiced Chocolate Coffee Cake Recipe
"My mom often prepared this yummy cinnamon and nutmeg spiced treat while I was growing up," reports Lauren Heyn of Oak Creek, Wisconsin. "I have yet to taste a better coffee cake."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:12-16 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1-1/4 cups for topping. To the remaining mixture, add cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cloves; mix well. Stir in raisins and nuts. Make a well in the center; pour in buttermilk and stir just until moistened.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 348 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC