- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Discard bay leaves. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Spiced Chili
Sort By :
Will make again!
I used venison chop meat, only 1 can of tomato sauce, added some garlic and onion powder, cumin, and some extra of the spices called for. It was delish!!
I also added 1 rounded tablespood cumin and some red pepper to taste, depending on how hot you like it. At this point I remove about half of the chili for those who don't like it too hot.
I used 3 cans of kidney beans and only 1 can of tomato sauce. I also substituted a 48 oz. can of V-8 for the stewed tomatoes and water. This is good...and spicy!
Making it for the second time tonight!! Outstanding taste, lots of great spices that blend together perfectly! We actually replace the beef with ground turkey. Highly recommend!