- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Discard bay leaves. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews for Spiced Chili
Sort By :
"Fallowed all directions and didn't like it"
"Will make again!"
"I used venison chop meat, only 1 can of tomato sauce, added some garlic and onion powder, cumin, and some extra of the spices called for. It was delish!!"
"I also added 1 rounded tablespood cumin and some red pepper to taste, depending on how hot you like it. At this point I remove about half of the chili for those who don't like it too hot."
"I used 3 cans of kidney beans and only 1 can of tomato sauce. I also substituted a 48 oz. can of V-8 for the stewed tomatoes and water. This is good...and spicy!"