Spiced Chili Recipe
My father was a cook in the Army and taught me the basics in the kitchen. My childhood baby-sitter inspired my love of cooking, too...in fact, she gave me this recipe. —Julie Brendt, Antelope, California
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Discard bay leaves. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 cup equals 236 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 1,240 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC