I got this delicious recipe 45 years ago and it definitely represents my region of the country. Whenever any member of the family wants a cake for a special occasion, they request this one. It really is very good!
Recommended: 48 Amazingly Easy Cakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and nutmeg. Add the water, oil and egg yolks. Beat on low speed just until combined. Increase speed and beat until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- Remove cake from pan. For glaze, melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour and salt until smooth. Add milk all at once, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; whisk in brown sugar and vanilla. Add confectioners' sugar; whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Chiffon Cake in Country December/January 1994, p47
Reviews for Spiced Chiffon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2011
"very dry! i can not find a good, moist bundt cake, this one appearred moist so i tried it, not much flavor and dry! i am now back to searching again :("
Reviewed Mar. 11, 2010
"This is a wonderful cake. I lost the recipe and was so glad to find it here."