Spiced Carrot Cupcakes Recipe
A medley of spices and a fluffy white chocolate frosting star in this recipe from Angela Coulter of Blairsville, Pennsylvania. “They're moist and light-tasting...a little different from your average cupcake,” says Angela.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 ounce white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots, pineapple and walnuts.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the chocolate, cream and extracts. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Pipe or spread over cupcakes, garnish with walnuts is desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 458 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC