For many years, we prepared this spiced popcorn during the holidays for gift giving. We always had to make a triple batch because no one could stop eating it!—Lee Bremson, Kansas City, Missouri
Recommended: 30 Perfectly Sweet Snacks
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 quarts air-popped popcorn
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Place popcorn in a large bowl; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda (mixture will foam). Quickly pour over popcorn and mix well.
- Transfer to two lightly greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from pans and place on waxed paper to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 quarts.
Originally published as Spiced Caramel Corn in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p131