- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce or salsa
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- Sour cream, optional
- In a skillet or saucepan, saute peppers and onion in butter for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice, soup mix, picante or salsa, cumin, garlic, salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSpiced Calico Rice
"This is a very good dish! I add 1# of hamburger, browned and drained, can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 tsp. chili powder. After it is cooked I spread it in a 9 x 13 pan, sprinkle the top with chopped cilantro, chopped green onions and shredded cheese. bake uncovered long enough to melt the cheese. It is a wonderful potluck dish! We love it!!"