Looking for an accompaniment to Mexican food or barbecued chicken? This spicy rice fits the bill (the sour cream is handy for cooling your palate!). When I'm cooking, I head for my spice cupboard often - we like our food zesty!
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce or salsa
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- Sour cream, optional
- In a skillet or saucepan, saute peppers and onion in butter for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice, soup mix, picante or salsa, cumin, garlic, salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Calico Rice in Country Extra May 1993, p47
Reviews for Spiced Calico Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review