Spiced Calico Rice Recipe
Looking for an accompaniment to Mexican food or barbecued chicken? This spicy rice fits the bill (the sour cream is handy for cooling your palate!). When I'm cooking, I head for my spice cupboard often - we like our food zesty!
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce or salsa
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- Sour cream, optional
- In a skillet or saucepan, saute peppers and onion in butter for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice, soup mix, picante or salsa, cumin, garlic, salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Calico Rice in Country Extra May 1993, p47
Reviews for Spiced Calico Rice(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review