This nicely spiced cabbage-and-apple medley has always been a favorite side dish on our holiday dinner table. We love the sweet-tangy flavor and eye-catching color.
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place cabbage and apple in a 6-qt. stockpot. Add sugar, salt, rosemary and pepper; toss to combine. Let stand 40 minutes to allow juices to release from cabbage.
- Place bay leaves and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Stir into cabbage mixture.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and lemon juice; heat through. Discard spice bag. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p55
Reviews for Spiced Cabbage and Apple Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review