- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large skillet, combine the cabbage, apple, sugar, salt, rosemary and pepper. Place bay leaves and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Stir into cabbage mixture. Let stand for 40 minutes or until some moisture has been drawn from cabbage.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and lemon juice; heat through. Discard spice bag. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p55
Reviews for Spiced Cabbage and Apple Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review