VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place cabbage and apple in a 6-qt. stockpot. Add sugar, salt, rosemary and pepper; toss to combine. Let stand 40 minutes to allow juices to release from cabbage.
- Place bay leaves and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Stir into cabbage mixture.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and lemon juice; heat through. Discard spice bag. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p55